Out of a field of 17 finalists competing for the 2013 prestigious SolVin Awards for PVC Innovation, the Spanish specialist in PVC-O pipes Molecor was named winner of the gold prize. Molecor received the prize for its large-sized PVC-O pipe, which measures up to 630 mm in diameter - 50% larger than previous pipe sizes. This unprecedented diameter size has opened up a whole new market in which these corrosion free PVC pipes can be applied....
PVC Pipe Industry News
A challenge of the PVC pipes industry has been to push the traditional limit of PVC-O pipes past 300mm without lowering the orientation degree and decreasing the material quality, ensuring pipes are available for pressure ranges up to 25 bars....
In September 2012, I had the privilege of attending and presenting at the international Plastic Pipes XVI Conference in Barcelona....
- PVC-O pipe has been in use since the mid 1970’s,however its usage increased significantly over the past decade with the adoption of national and international standards and advances in manufacturing technology.
- PVC-O pipe offers significant benefits to water utilities and contractors. It maintains the excellent properties of PVC-U pipe whilst greatly increasing the strength, impact and crack resistance, ensuring the long term performance of the pipe.The robustness, light weight and flexibility of PVC-O pipes increase the speed of installation and limit the amount of ancillary equipment required to perform the installation.
- Because of the high strength of the material, PVC-O pipe uses less raw material for transporting potable water or other fluids than all other pressure pipe types. This results in a larger bore for the same outer diameter, potentially enabling the use of smaller diameter pipes and fittings and/or lowering operational (pumping) costs, giving a lower total life cycle cost and the most sustainable outcome.
- PVC-O pipes do not corrode and have proven longevity. They also possess excellent resistance to disinfectant chemicals, making them the ideal solution for water infrastructure.
- Experience with the use of PVC-O pipes around the world has yielded good reliable and sound experience that confirms the above advantages are recognised and appreciated by the users.
Reference - PVC-O PIPES FOR WATER AND WASTE WATER APPLICATIONS: STANDARDISATION, QUALITY AND APPLICATIONS, Frans Alferink and Jos Oosterik